League of Xee

The Hook
Session 0.5

The area you’re currently is the called “The Sump”, which is a massive lowland swamp covered with fog and filled with all manner of nasty beasts, long abandoned ruins, and cannibalistic frogmen

I’m thinking the basis for the current story arc would be that the PC’s are based out of heavily fortified outlaw hideout called Stilt Town. Think “hive of scum and villainy ruled by an inbred half-orc mafia in the middle of the louisiana bayou” and you would be close, except that the whole Sump is perpetually covered by chill fog and seeps into everything. (haha san francisco)

The two big advantages to being here are a) no one asks questions about you and b) there’s actually a fair amount of grey market activity going on, so there’s a steady stream of really interesting work for folks who aren’t too discerning about who is paying them.

The last job came from a very unexpected place. While the town itself has a bewildering variety of races, the least noticeable of them are the Muks Muks – essentially pygmy rog men (in D&D terms, a variety of Bullywug) that generally exist as servants and low caste. The outlaws tolerate them, and the Muk Muks thrive in their way, safe from the other Bullywugs who tend to the “poison and eat you” side of the alignment scale.

Recently the muk muk’s approached you privately, and let it be known they had a job – some Muk Muk scouts had been exploring an area known to possess some old ruins, and had seen two things that worried them. For one, there were signs of habitation. Two, many of the local flora and fauna were dying around the area, as if some maliaise were spreading out from the ruins. They asked a muk muk ranger to explore the area, and he never came back. Now they are hiring a party to enter The Blight, as they now call it, and explore the three ruins there, and see if they can rescue the ranger or at least bring back his body (Muk Muk’s tattoo their skins with stories, and this ranger’s story is very important to the tribe’s sense of pride )

The mission:
Explore the ruined sites in The Blight and find out what’s happening
Clear the area of threats to the Muk Muks
Rescue or recover the Ranger known as Hissblood

The Reward:
You keep anything you find in the ruins
A Comesurrate monetary reward that wound motivate you
Background: “Tattooed tales of the Blood Fly Muk Muk clan”
+ Overall Muk Muk standing which would be very useful in the Sump
+ Swamp knowledge, survival, flora, fauna
+ A bewildering variety of Muk Muk recipes (bullywugs make for surprisingly good cooks!)

View
Session One: The Tower, The Pool, The Jail
Session One

Characters:

Zann, Wood elf Monk
The Creature Feep, Warforged Bard
Taliem, Half Elf Druid
Cosmo, Kender Thief
Maziel, Drow Ranger
Klotonk, Rock Gnome Wizard

Get the mission, arrive at tower

Druid turns into hound.
Monk, ranger, and druid all attempt to track, monk succeeds and finds Muk Muk tracks
Drow is afraid of muk muk ambush, cautiously approaches tower
Other players arrive at tower
They find a body face down
Body has black robes and they find a flute
Hearing the players, a stone ear sprouts from the side of the tower
Bard performs challenge by playing “shave and haircut” without dying, tower rises out of the ground
Find a Fresco painted into the wall with water lilies, touch it, are transported to a glade

Players look in glade, see themselves as children
Bard finds a rune in common Militades
Gnome drinks the water and experiences relates a childhood memory

Party leaves, goes to room filled with cages
Finds Hissblood, but he’s magically asleep
Maziel finds a silver torc

Party teleports to room with a chest.
Hissblood isn’t transported

View
Session Two: The Mimic, The Webs, and The Cauldron

Fight the Mimic
Gnome wounded
Get a Collar/Ring
Get a hint (eumphemia)
Go to the Desert Tomb
Meet a crazy man in black robes, find a tomb
Don’t go in the tomb
Get the (erubus) clue
go the Aerena Room
trade a secret for the clue (sophia)
go to the cauldron
everyone but maziel fucks up the yes/no scenario
Cosmo investigates the house
Cauldron: Feep fizzed, Maziel fizzed, Klotonk didn’t.

View
Session Three: The Library, The Key

Start in Cauldron room.

Explore the house a little more.
move to the library
investigate stuffed owlbear
has same voice as Feeps
Put all the books back on shelf, find new clue
get a bucket
Go to Pool room
find key in pool but can’t move it.
use bucket to remove key from the pool
use mending on the broken fresco – discover ID of the glaistig
Go to the throne room
Taelim’s father is the wizard of the tower!

View
Session Four: The Throne & The Demon

Throne room wizard is Taelim’s dad.
He’s dead.
Taelim gets signet ring & dagger +1
Scepter Feep can hold talk to it once per day
10 bodies four guards 4 nobles servant and a guy from sultanate of magaat
Sultanate guy had scroll case can’t open
33 sp
3 potions – levitate, pass w/o trace, magic weapon

Go to demon room fight.
100 gp star ruby

Go to library, find owlbear destroyed and door cracked open

View
Session Five: Bargle, and the Archway Out

Party assaults the Wizard in the library. Puts one to sleep, the wizard ignores the spell.
Summons air elemental, nearly kills Feeps
Party parlays, trades clue to demon room for Feeps, Wizard Dimension Doors away.
Backpack on cultist –
Implement Wand,
Scrolls with strange writing (indecipherable)
Tailem makes a Healing Potion, Team rests, interrogates the cultist.

Cultists Name is Dunne, gives them a little more info

Team goes to sand dunes, chest there has been opened, stripped. Find clue on other cultist that

Team explores the web room, Deals with gravity changes. Finds a looted treasure chest, dead bodies, nearly dead cultist. Klotonk Saves cultist, his name is Mattias.

Mattias gives backstory for the Raven Queen cultists (adding to wiki)

Bargle is the lead Wizard and has been acting erratically, been sacrificing his team to survive, mostly been looting the tower.

RQC group working with two other groups in the blight – a group of hobgoblins in the Crevice, and a group of guys at the abandoned village in dark robes that never show their face or skin

Team goes to Archway – gets last clue, solves the puzzle.

Goes to Glaistig room but can’t immediately find the Glaistig, decides to leave.

As they open door, Invisible Bargle attempts to escape.

Team takes wizard down for interrogation.

View
XP After First Quest Completion

Starting XP: 950
XP to his level 4 2,250

Current XP for Party (modifier: Story background added in game)

Cosmo 1572
Feeps 1612
Klotonk 1612
Maziel 1612
Tailem 1612
Zann 1572

View
Session Six: Interrogate the Wizard, and Challenging the Party God.

We examined the area quickly, saw it was growing dark we moved our unconscious friend back into the tower after activating the collars, which we learned a sleep command for. Cosmo discovered some bees and hijinks ensued. We brought everyone into the water lilies room and brought a cage in from the prison room (which are all activatible with the silver key)
Maziel wandered off and explored a bit of the glastique room and stated there is another entity here, and knows for sure we are not prepared to take it on. She definitely wants to bring in some associates to evaluate it better.
We began interrogations and are learning stuff now
Dylan is being Glados
Tower was likely built by an arch magi. This guy bit off more than he could chew
was hired by someone who has a lot of knowledge about arcane things, and was planning on disclosing the things to that person
He said about the glastique “I know my place in the world, and it is not dealing with powers that are there”
Witch had the collar on when we got here. The witch showed him her tattoo. His group had been to all the rooms except the Glastique room. His treasure is hidden somewhere.
The witch only answered yes/no questions and eventually ‘gave her what he wanted’
did not kill Taelim’s father
Bargle was only told about collar properties and would have just left Hissblood in the tower
On the dunes, “Yeah. That was weird.”
The sand dunes are actually another place is Bargle’s theory


After arriving back in town, the Muk Muks throw a party.
Maziel hands off Bargle to a drunken Barnabas, then leaves for a bit and comes back to join the group, who are currently drinking.
Zan gets into a fight with another Monk who insults his monk style.
Taelim accidentally sets fire to a house, the fire spreads and burns down a third of the town.
Taelim drunkenly declares “I can handle this”, and casts a number of spells beyond her normal ability in order to put the fire out. Miraculously, no one is injured or killed, and no one saw Taelim start the fire.
Taelim is under the effects of a Quest Spell now, however.

View
Zan's Quest: Rumble in Stilt Town

so there was a discussion of doing a sub quest
[11/14/2013 12:48:38 PM] Luke Gamble: Neat.
[11/14/2013 12:48:45 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: (since taelim is going to have a geas anyway)
[11/14/2013 12:52:33 PM] Kelly Mangerino: oh, boy, why am I’m burning something down?
[11/14/2013 12:52:49 PM] Kelly Mangerino: is it a drinking challenge, then I accept
[11/14/2013 12:54:12 PM] Kelly Mangerino: [Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:48 PM] Xavier Rodriguez:

<<< (since taelim is going to have a geas anyway)also, what is that?
[11/14/2013 12:54:54 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: [Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:31 PM] Xavier Rodriguez:

<<< Everyone else except Maziel has challenged the Party God. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGh2Ga1rVJ0
[11/14/2013 12:55:06 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: remember that kelly?
[11/14/2013 12:55:16 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Challenging the party god?
[11/14/2013 12:55:30 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: so the result of that:
[11/14/2013 12:55:54 PM] Monasch: geas is kinda like a magical commitment. The gods gave you a casting of a spell that you shouldn’t been able to do and thus they’ve locked you into a commitment to help their ends.
[11/14/2013 12:56:07 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: So, there’s 400 XP to distribute among the four challengers
[11/13/2013 11:02:30 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: 1 is Klotonk
2 is Cosmo
3 is Taelim
4 is Feeps
[11/13/2013 11:03:01 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: ROFLCOPTER
[11/13/2013 11:03:10 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Taelim has Caroused Excessively
[11/13/2013 11:05:22 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: dm rolls 1d20 (20!)
[11/13/2013 11:05:38 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Taelim has set fire to the muk muk village with the flaming drinks
[11/13/2013 11:05:49 PM] Ryan Walters: O_O
[11/13/2013 11:06:16 PM] The Game: Epic
[11/13/2013 11:06:18 PM] The Game: Party
[11/13/2013 11:06:41 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: DM rolls 1d6 (5!)
[11/13/2013 11:06:44 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: 5-6 a big chunk of town goes up in smoke
[11/13/2013 11:07:31 PM | Edited 11:07:45 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: DM rolls 1d6 (5!)
No one knows who did it!
[11/13/2013 11:10:17 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: DM rolls 1d20(19) While in said drunken stupor, with the town on fire, Taelim decides “She can handle this” and attempts to Cast Sleet Storm (a 3rd level spell) to put out the fire
[11/13/2013 11:10:21 PM | Edited 11:11:40 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: The Gods actually grant her the spells, and she succeeds in casting Sleet Storm
[11/13/2013 11:10:53 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: So she’s actually hailed as the savior of town
[11/13/2013 11:11:39 PM] Ryan Walters: excellent! We have the village in our debt!
[11/13/2013 11:11:48 PM] Ryan Walters: … again!
[11/13/2013 11:12:00 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Yeah, but there is a price.
[11/13/2013 11:12:20 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Which I’ll get to Taelim about. She’s under a Quest Spell now.
[11/14/2013 12:56:11 PM] Monasch: X called it a Spell Quest earlier
[11/14/2013 12:56:23 PM] Monasch: *Quest Spell. :P
[11/14/2013 12:58:05 PM] Kelly Mangerino: WOOOOO!!! Maziel, please remember this as I will not even know my name when I’m sober
[11/14/2013 12:59:47 PM] Monasch: Eeehhhh, the gods’ll probably remind you when you’re coherent XD
[11/14/2013 1:00:52 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: oh yeah, the quest spell spell is.. rather insistent
[11/14/2013 1:03:01 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: @kelly – http://screencast.com/t/jtdChbQwXL
[11/14/2013 1:03:54 PM] Monasch: dat autoscaling curve
[11/14/2013 1:04:04 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: While a geas cannot compel a creature to kill itself or perform acts that would result in certain death, it can cause almost any other course of activity.

The geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is completed, no matter how long it takes.

If the instructions involve some open-ended task that the recipient cannot complete through his own actions the spell remains in effect for a maximum of one day per caster level. A clever recipient can subvert some instructions:

If the subject is prevented from obeying the lesser geas for 24 hours, it takes a -2 penalty to each of its ability scores. Each day, another -2 penalty accumulates, up to a total of -8. No ability score can be reduced to less than 1 by this effect. The ability score penalties are removed 24 hours after the subject resumes obeying the lesser geas.

A remove curse spell ends a geas/quest spell only if its caster level is at least two higher than your caster level. Break enchantment does not end a geas/quest, but limited wish, miracle, and wish do.
[11/14/2013 1:04:25 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: (from 3.5)
[11/14/2013 1:05:36 PM | Edited 1:05:42 PM] Monasch: so… the caster level of this geas is probably in the range of “ha, you’re funny” to “bro, do you even lift?”
[11/14/2013 1:06:59 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: [Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:05 PM] Monasch:

<<< the caster level of this geas is probably in the range ofObad-hai, God of Nature. -soooo… yeah.. find a level 30 cleric, yo.
[11/14/2013 1:08:00 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: I like the idea that Taelim’s a Druid Harry Potter
[11/14/2013 1:08:31 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: and that fit with the roll
[11/14/2013 1:09:22 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: “19) When in a drunken stupor you asked your god(s) to get you out of some stupid mess. Turns out they heard you! Now as repayment for saving your sorry ass, you’re under the effects of a quest spell.”
[11/14/2013 1:34:54 PM] Dylan Gould: wow!
[11/14/2013 1:35:07 PM] Dylan Gould: so what happens to the rest of us when we challenge the party god?
[11/14/2013 2:06:04 PM] Kelly Mangerino: Oh.God. what slavery have I sold my soul to
[11/14/2013 2:07:31 PM] Ryan Walters: THARIZDUN GOD OF DESTROYING EVERYTHING
[11/14/2013 2:07:31 PM] Monasch: [Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:06 PM] Xavier Rodriguez:

<<< Obad-hai, God of Nature.Clearly. :P
[11/14/2013 2:07:52 PM] Kelly Mangerino: ….does this God have a history that I should be aware of
[11/14/2013 2:43:31 PM] Monasch: I suppose you’ll roll history/religion/arcana or something in the AM (rofl)
[11/14/2013 2:43:47 PM] Monasch: or PM, as it may be :P
[11/14/2013 2:44:34 PM] Monasch: I really hope the fire breaks out during the fight and there’s this epic roaring fire providing back-lighting for the monk fight.
[11/14/2013 3:23:58 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: [Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:44 PM] Monasch:

<<< I really hope the fire breaks out during the fight and there’s this epic roaring fire providing back-lighting for the monk fight.was thinking that too
[11/14/2013 3:24:10 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: along with the freak snowstorm
[11/14/2013 3:24:22 PM] Ryan Walters: On 11/14/13, at 3:24 PM, Xavier Rodriguez wrote:
> along with the freak snowstorm

o_O?
[11/14/2013 3:24:54 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: [Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:56 PM] Xavier Rodriguez:

<<< [11/13/2013 11:10:17 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: DM rolls 1d20(19) While in said drunken stupor, with the town on fire, Taelim decides “She can handle this” and attempts to Cast Sleet Storm (a 3rd level spell) to put out the fire
[11/13/2013 11:10:21 PM | Edited 11:11:40 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: The Gods actually grant her the spells, and she succeeds in casting Sleet Storm
[11/13/2013 11:10:53 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: So she’s actually hailed as the savior of town
[11/14/2013 3:25:09 PM] Ryan Walters: oh, sleet storm
[11/14/2013 3:25:13 PM] Ryan Walters: not snow storm
[11/14/2013 3:25:21 PM] Ryan Walters: sleet != snow
[11/14/2013 3:25:32 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: same difference, drow. you’ve never seen snow
[11/14/2013 3:25:40 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: nor has anyone else I wager
[11/14/2013 3:25:44 PM] Ryan Walters: Maziel hasn’t, but I have
[11/14/2013 3:26:06 PM] Ryan Walters: so does Maziel just think someone cast an ice spell into the air in the middle of a rain shower?
[11/14/2013 3:26:14 PM] Ryan Walters: because that would be cause for alarm
[11/14/2013 3:26:36 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: I don’t know. Does she? it IS putting the fire out.
[11/14/2013 3:26:51 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: I guess the question would be.. and this is a good one
[11/14/2013 3:27:04 PM] Ryan Walters: ok, I think he just thinks the druid is doing it
[11/14/2013 3:27:09 PM] Ryan Walters: which is accurate
[11/14/2013 3:27:19 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: was she watching Taelim closely to make sure she’s not getting into trouble?
[11/14/2013 3:27:32 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: or was she watching the two monks kick the crap out of each other?
[11/14/2013 3:27:40 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: or something else?
[11/14/2013 3:28:26 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: @ luke
[11/14/2013 3:29:00 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: The Monk in question, is someone you’ve seen around town a couple times but never really taken more than a second glance at.
[11/14/2013 3:29:00 PM] Luke Gamble: yo
[11/14/2013 3:29:22 PM] Luke Gamble: Interesting. Race? Recognize the regalia?
[11/14/2013 3:29:27 PM] Ryan Walters: I kind of picture one of those scenes where Maziel as at the bar bench separating him from the barkeep with the camera focused from the bartender side, and Maziel is just sighing as things are on fire and people are fighting behind him
[11/14/2013 3:29:29 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: he’s human, pretty buff, and has a full body tattoo of a hydra with lots of heads
[11/14/2013 3:29:47 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: doesn’t wear anything special.
[11/14/2013 3:30:01 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: but the body tattoos you know of from your monk background
[11/14/2013 3:30:08 PM] Luke Gamble: Ooh.
[11/14/2013 3:30:18 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: he’s a sixth headed hydra style monk
[11/14/2013 3:30:45 PM] Ryan Walters: flying spinning cougar style
[11/14/2013 3:31:02 PM] Ryan Walters: your kung fu is weak
[11/14/2013 3:31:10 PM | Edited 3:31:25 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: which is a knock off style based on the Abbess’ sixth point palm technique (way of the fist)
[11/14/2013 3:31:48 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: So at some point, while you’re both in your cups, you bump into him, and apologize.
[11/14/2013 3:32:03 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: he refuses to accept your apologize, and questions your ancestry
[11/14/2013 3:33:28 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: as well as your fighting technique
[11/14/2013 3:33:37 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: and challenges you here, now to a duel.
[11/14/2013 3:33:57 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: (there’s silence… and a then big “oooooooooooOOOOOO from the drunken crowd”)
[11/14/2013 3:34:24 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: you hear “you gonna take that shit from him Zan?” from the crowd (possibly Cosmo)
[11/14/2013 3:34:34 PM] Ryan Walters: (or Taelim)
[11/14/2013 3:34:39 PM] Ryan Walters: (whichever)
[11/14/2013 3:34:46 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: (or both!)
[11/14/2013 3:34:52 PM] Ryan Walters: (probably both)
[11/14/2013 3:34:56 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: He’s up in your face.
[11/14/2013 3:38:01 PM] Monasch: [Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:18 AM] Monasch:

<<< Klotonk tries to minor illusion a referee/announcer for the fight.
“Aaaand in this cor-HIC-ner we have the trash-talking self-proclaimed superior monk. HIC. Gurgle. What’s ya name buddy?”
[11/14/2013 3:39:56 PM] Monasch: Referee looks something like someone of authority from the circus. Maybe the lion tamer if there was one (hmm, that might’ve been Taelim?) or maybe just whoever was the circus announcer/opener.
[11/14/2013 3:40:23 PM] Monasch: Not looking for him to be menacing, if we decide that it was the Circus of Crime XD
[11/14/2013 3:48:15 PM] Luke Gamble: Oh-ho, well in this case, Zan’s going to (begrudgingly) take up a sparring stance.
[11/14/2013 3:48:52 PM] Luke Gamble: He may question my style, but he’s also ruining everyone’s good time (including my own), and that’s not zen.
[11/14/2013 3:49:05 PM] Ryan Walters: “Look, your thoughts on my skills are just like, your opinion man”
[11/14/2013 3:49:31 PM] Ryan Walters: “It is not keeping this place in balance. I mean, look, things are suddenly on fire.”
[11/14/2013 3:50:26 PM] Luke Gamble: Would actually say something approaching both of these things, only worded so they weren’t almost direct Lebowski quotes. :P
[11/14/2013 3:54:47 PM] Dylan Gould: You should make a line in the sand, and tell him this aggression will not stand, man.
[11/14/2013 3:55:18 PM] Luke Gamble: It won’t stand. Cuz he’ll be flat on his face when I’m done with him.

Kekekeke
[11/14/2013 5:19:41 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: [Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:49 PM] Ryan Walters:

<<< “It is not keeping this place in balance. I mean, look, things are suddenly on fire.” (rofl)
[11/14/2013 6:55:00 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: It’s Zan, The Hydra guy, and the illusion referee (who I imagine looks like tim roth in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead) http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb1n26u6RI1r9gwhe.jpg
[11/14/2013 6:55:33 PM | Edited 7:02:36 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: (for some other reason, this leads me to conclude that Zan looks like Gary Oldman with pointy ears)
[11/14/2013 6:56:32 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: http://www.lookmymovies.com/images/rosencrantz_x26_guildenstern_are_dead_4.jpg
[11/14/2013 6:57:35 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: (… That’s just, you know, your interpretation of the physicality of the cosmos, my friend. Things aren’t as black and white as they seem.)
[11/14/2013 7:00:32 PM | Edited 10:06:41 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: DM Rolls (1d20+2) for Brawny’s initiative: 22!
He quickly switches to a Mauy Thai Kickboxing Stance – Balanced on one foot, one knee up for a knee strike, both hands in a boxers pose http://res.cloudinary.com/display97/image/upload/c_scale,w_300,f_auto/v1362515922/105.jpg
[11/14/2013 7:00:42 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Zan, roll initiative.
[11/15/2013 9:39:25 AM] Luke Gamble: [Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:55 PM] Xavier Rodriguez:

<<< (for some other reason, this leads me to conclude that Zan looks like Gary Oldman with pointy ears)I dig it.

Sorry! I can’t finish the scene right now! Maybe later on today
[11/15/2013 9:39:37 AM] Luke Gamble: yesterday was unusually crazy for me
[11/15/2013 3:04:40 PM] Luke Gamble: OK! I can fight stuff through the magic of skype. X, let me know if ya wanna do this thang.
[11/15/2013 3:45:37 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: [Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:00 PM] Xavier Rodriguez:

<<< DM Rolls (1d20+2) for Brawny’s initiative: 22!
He quickly switches to a Mauy Thai Kickboxing Stance – Balanced on one foot, one knee up for a knee strike, both hands in a boxers pose http://res.cloudinary.com/display97/image/upload/c_scale,w_300,f_auto/v1362515922/105.jpg
Zan, roll initiative.
[11/15/2013 3:51:50 PM | Edited 3:56:08 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: (by the by, you are both fighting at disadvantage (intoxicated), but for the sake of expediency, assume that you cancel each other out)
[11/15/2013 3:57:19 PM] Luke Gamble: I shall ping this chat as soon as I put out a task that just landed on my plate!
[11/15/2013 4:17:04 PM] Luke Gamble: (slurring heavily)
“Alright, guy, you’re throwing off my zen. Not cool. Let’s do this.”
[11/15/2013 4:17:44 PM] Luke Gamble: Zan assumes a defensive stance, rolling a mote of emerald green fire in his palm.
[11/15/2013 4:17:54 PM] Luke Gamble: (Initiative is 17)
[11/15/2013 4:22:14 PM] Ryan Walters: (No one is policing this party, so other weapons can be found pretty much everywhere and on everyone, right?)
[11/15/2013 4:22:46 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Sure!
[11/15/2013 4:23:28 PM] Luke Gamble: (Oh, in case it doesn’t go without saying, all attacks from Zan are nonlethal in this contest)
[11/15/2013 4:23:59 PM | Edited 4:24:22 PM] Ryan Walters: (Judging by the nature of the event, I don’t think Maziel is particularly intoxicated, but is probably conversing with people. If Zann starts to lose, get to a less noticed area of the party, and loose the longbow)
[11/15/2013 4:24:55 PM] Ryan Walters: (Maziel is lightly suspicious of a setup)
[11/15/2013 4:41:45 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Brawny continues to stare Zann down.. and something wierd happens. He mutters “Hypnotising Hydra” and then his eyes go all wiggly on you.
http://cynthiarobertson.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/junglebook_24.jpg
[11/15/2013 4:42:17 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Zan seems to lose his concentration and with that, Brawny lightly steps in,
quickly fients a left punch, and then swings a lower leg kick that knocks Zan slightly off balance. (Supreme Flurry)
[11/15/2013 4:42:38 PM] Ryan Walters: sleep littllllllle man cub, reeeeesssst in peaacccccce
[11/15/2013 4:45:25 PM] Monasch: “Ooh, a clean hit from the bala-HIC-ncing monk. Will this fight be over as qui-HIC-ly as it started!?”
[11/15/2013 4:45:29 PM] Luke Gamble: (Well don’t keep me in suspense! Did it hit?! What was the roll? lol)
[11/15/2013 4:45:46 PM | Edited 4:46:32 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Zan, as you’re falling forward, Brawny does a slightly wobbly reverse spin and you have a split second to react as his backhand elbow heads for your face. Do you:
1. Attempt to dodge the elbow by leaping to the side?
2. Try to get under the elbow and grapple him?
3. Arm block the backhand?
[11/15/2013 4:46:13 PM] Luke Gamble: (Oooohhhh interesting, is this like a choose your own adventure thing?)
[11/15/2013 4:46:16 PM] Luke Gamble: (instead of combat?)
[11/15/2013 4:46:34 PM] Luke Gamble: (I’m fine with that)
[11/15/2013 4:46:37 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: there will be rolls
[11/15/2013 4:46:47 PM] Ryan Walters: (and blood)
[11/15/2013 4:46:55 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: one choice confers advantage, one disadvantage, and one no change
[11/15/2013 4:48:29 PM] Luke Gamble: (Interesting – In that case…)

Zan swiftly raises his arm to block the backhand, gathering ki to lash out with a Fiery Riposte from the kinect energy of the blow! (Disciple of the Elements, “Fiery Riposte,” page 35)
[11/15/2013 4:49:00 PM] Luke Gamble: (brb)
[11/15/2013 4:51:33 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: you chose poorly. You’ll have disadvantage on your attack, but you can spend a supreme flurry to negate that.
[11/15/2013 4:53:57 PM] Luke Gamble: Sooo fiery riposte doesn’t happen oooorrr?
[11/15/2013 4:54:22 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: He’s blown 2 Ki right off the bat – one for the supreme flurry, and one for the furry of blows. You’re at full ki
[11/15/2013 4:54:28 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: it will.
[11/15/2013 4:54:43 PM] Ryan Walters: you can either fiery riposte at disadvantage or spend supreme flurry to negate, correct?
[11/15/2013 4:54:56 PM] Luke Gamble: Fiery Riposte doesn’t have an attack roll
[11/15/2013 4:55:08 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: he gets a save
[11/15/2013 4:55:25 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: what’s your DC btw
[11/15/2013 4:55:30 PM] Luke Gamble: 12 Dex
[11/15/2013 4:55:43 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: okay just a sec.
[11/15/2013 4:56:16 PM] Ryan Walters: (Fight music from X’s playlist that feels like the right theme for this fight: http://grooveshark.com/s/Cranes/2SBja9?src=5)
[11/15/2013 4:57:34 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: 1st attack – DM rolls 18,9, takes 18+5 (AC 23)
2nd attack DM rolls 5,2, both miss
3rd attack, DM rolls 2,4, both miss
[11/15/2013 4:58:29 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: dmg: for the hit – dm rolls 4 +3
[11/15/2013 4:58:35 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: so 7
[11/15/2013 4:58:57 PM] Luke Gamble: Zan takes a swift crack to the ankle (right? That one was the leg sweep?) and goes to 14 health
[11/15/2013 4:59:16 PM | Edited 4:59:22 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: nope the first hit was the backhand elbow :D
[11/15/2013 4:59:26 PM] Luke Gamble: swift crack to the forearm, then
[11/15/2013 4:59:27 PM] Luke Gamble: haha
[11/15/2013 4:59:34 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: the other two hits he tried went wide
[11/15/2013 4:59:59 PM] Luke Gamble: (Want me to do the whole shtick with Riposte now?)
[11/15/2013 5:00:12 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: for the save roll, he rolled 12, +1 dex bonus, so your riposte didn’t get him
[11/15/2013 5:00:59 PM] Luke Gamble: It does do half damage on a miss
[11/15/2013 5:01:33 PM] Luke Gamble: Is that cool?
[11/15/2013 5:02:24 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: ah roll
[11/15/2013 5:03:40 PM] Luke Gamble: (rolled 5 + Monk Level, so 8 halved = 4 total fire damage)

Zan, unleashing Ki from his fractured arm, slices a tongue of verdant flame through the air toward his foe
[11/15/2013 5:05:03 PM] Luke Gamble: (and this was my interrupt for the turn, not the actual attack. It cost Zan 1 Ki)
[11/15/2013 5:05:25 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: The flame washes over your foe, who doesn’t even flinch. you’ve burned off the hair on his body, and his skin is red and welted where you’ve struck
[11/15/2013 5:05:36 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: he scowls at you.
[11/15/2013 5:05:51 PM] Monasch: “Ah, but he’s not out! gurgle. groan.”
[11/15/2013 5:06:02 PM] Luke Gamble: :D
[11/15/2013 5:06:09 PM] Luke Gamble: (hahaha)
[11/15/2013 5:07:12 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Roll to attack him
[11/15/2013 5:07:36 PM] Luke Gamble: (sorry, was unclear, disadvantage here?)
[11/15/2013 5:08:24 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: correct.
[11/15/2013 5:09:59 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: you could spend supreme flurry to negate I think
[11/15/2013 5:14:03 PM] Luke Gamble: Zan’s focus is lessened, and he lets his injured left arm hang to his side. In a bout of frustration, he focuses his Ki for a follow up against his dauntless foe. (Flurry of Blows at Disadvantage, -1 Ki, 1 remaining).

He flings forward with a downward chop, followed by a low to high double kick (3 attacks)

Zan rolls 12, 17 for chop (12+5 = 17 vs AC)
Zan rolls 14, 16 for low kick (14+5 = 19 vs AC)
Zan rolls 3, 6 for high kick (3+5 = 8 vs AC)
[11/15/2013 5:14:46 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: first two hit, third goes wide
[11/15/2013 5:16:13 PM] Luke Gamble: Zan chops into his foes shoulder sharply (rolled 4 + 3 = 7 damage), and follows up with a low kick to the shin (rolled 3 + 3 = 6 damage), as his foe recoils and dodges a reckless high kick
[11/15/2013 5:16:22 PM] Luke Gamble: (13 damage total)
[11/15/2013 5:19:30 PM] Luke Gamble: (also I’m totally digging this music, Ryan/X, lol)
[11/15/2013 5:24:04 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: He looks staggered, and seems to favor his other leg now
[11/15/2013 5:25:37 PM] Monasch: “A miriad of strikes from our firey fo… fo… fourrrrgggghhhh.”
[11/15/2013 5:25:53 PM] Monasch: “How will one-leg respond?”
[11/15/2013 5:26:34 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Brawny has initiative.
[11/15/2013 5:27:01 PM] Luke Gamble: (OOC: Brawny? Why don’t you go sell some more paper towels, bro)
[11/15/2013 5:31:12 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: You trade fients as he sort of circles around to your right.. it looks like he’s try to go for your arm again.

He suddenly rushes in and does a frontal push onto your chest.. Zan staggers back, and the space between you increases. He skips up, and attempts to knee strike you directly dead center in the chest.

Do you:
1. Jump out of the way?
2. Attempt to deflect, using his momemtum to throw him off balance?
3. Attempt to counter strike him at the same time he hits you?
[11/15/2013 5:31:20 PM] Ryan Walters: (Bro, do you even absorb?)
[11/15/2013 5:31:51 PM] Luke Gamble: Absolutely, unquestionably #2
[11/15/2013 5:34:54 PM | Edited 5:42:32 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: As the knee strike comes up, Zan spins, grabbing the monk and throwing him past – Monk goes past Zan, through the crowd, and through the wall of a nearby building.
[11/15/2013 5:35:08 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: which, oddly enough, seems to be on fire.
[11/15/2013 5:35:16 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Zan stands, panting.
[11/15/2013 5:36:15 PM] Luke Gamble: (brb – 5 minutes!)
[11/15/2013 5:36:23 PM | Edited 5:36:44 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Brawny Explodes out of the opening, his pants ON FIRE, and attempts a flurry of reckless kicks on Zan
[11/15/2013 5:36:34 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Zan has advantage on his next attacks
[11/15/2013 5:37:22 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: DM rolls 18, 2, 6
[11/15/2013 5:37:36 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: so one hit. 9 damage!
[11/15/2013 5:37:46 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Riposte?
[11/15/2013 5:37:54 PM] Luke Gamble: None.
[11/15/2013 5:38:09 PM] Luke Gamble: Zan spits out blood. He is bloodied.
[11/15/2013 5:38:12 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: He looks like you’ve tapped him for chi.
[11/15/2013 5:39:00 PM | Edited 5:39:25 PM] Monasch: “And HIC with a quick exchange, Brawndo goes flying out of the ring and into a flaming? FLAM-HIC-ING BUILDING. But he’s back out and boy folks does he look FIRED UP.” Light chuckling can be heard from a gnome in the audience.
[11/15/2013 5:39:55 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: http://movieclips.com/ogEZY-ong-bak-movie-on-fire/
[11/15/2013 5:40:49 PM] Ryan Walters: (at this point, things are on fire. Maziel seeks to exit)
[11/15/2013 5:40:49 PM] Luke Gamble: (well gather thoughts and return shortly, gotta go do something)
[11/15/2013 5:41:14 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Zan is somewhat on fire as well, but he’s okay
[11/15/2013 5:54:43 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: (Maziel is gone, silent as night)
[11/15/2013 5:55:25 PM] Luke Gamble: AAAAAAND BACK
[11/15/2013 5:57:27 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Zan and Brawny are both smoldering slightly..fire is happily consuming the building behind you..
[11/15/2013 5:57:48 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Most of the people are still concerned with the fight and people are placing bets
[11/15/2013 5:58:03 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: The muk muk’s are screaming “ZAN! ZAN! ZAN!”
[11/15/2013 5:59:10 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Brawny is breathing pretty heavily, and his last couple of attacks have been sloppy, indicating he’s out of chi. He’s favoring the leg you’ve damaged.
[11/15/2013 6:00:00 PM] Monasch: “The crowd has picked a champion! gurgle. Will he deliver or will he fizzle out!?”
[11/15/2013 6:00:03 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Zan is probably suffering internal bleeding from a contused rib, and his arm is swollen
[11/15/2013 6:01:09 PM] Luke Gamble: Zan, winded by the hit, decides to put all his energy into one final assault. Sweat and blood dripping from his clenched fist, he focuses his Ki for a flurry of incapacitating punches. Noticing his opponent’s leg, Zan hopes to knock his opponent off of balance, ending the fight before he can further retaliate.

SSSII!!” (Flurry of Blows, spending the last Ki point for three attacks)
[11/15/2013 6:01:35 PM] Luke Gamble: (advantage from previous body throw)
[11/15/2013 6:04:16 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: “CHO!”
[11/15/2013 6:04:27 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: says Brawny, attempting to counter
[11/15/2013 6:04:42 PM] Luke Gamble: Zan rolls 16, 16 (lol?) for a punch to the jaw (16 + 5 = 21 vs AC)

Zan rolls 16, 9 (swear to god these 16s lol) for an uppercut to throw his opponent’s balance onto his injured leg (16 + 5 = 21 vs AC)

Zan rolls 15, 17 with a flat-palmed strike to the chest to incapacitate his foe (17 + 5 = 21 vs AC)
[11/15/2013 6:04:57 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: Hit, Hit, Hit
[11/15/2013 6:05:02 PM] Monasch: 22 on that last one, but doesn’t matter
[11/15/2013 6:05:04 PM] Luke Gamble: (thank god I switched to my black dice, lol)
[11/15/2013 6:05:40 PM] Luke Gamble: 8 damage, 5 damage, 7 damage
[11/15/2013 6:05:50 PM] Luke Gamble: 20 damage total (non lethal!!)
[11/15/2013 6:06:42 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: You hit him on the button with the uppercut
[11/15/2013 6:07:15 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: he eyes roll back and he falls flat on the ground.
[11/15/2013 6:07:30 PM] Luke Gamble: Zan takes a knee, panting and bleeding
[11/15/2013 6:07:34 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!!
[11/15/2013 6:07:44 PM | Edited 6:07:51 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: THE FIRE GOES OUT OF CONTROL!!!!
[11/15/2013 6:08:27 PM] Monasch: “The fire throwing monk has done it! HIC The crowd favorite, Zan, takes the wiiiin!”
[11/15/2013 6:08:32 PM] Luke Gamble: Suddenly becoming incredibly luicd, Zan realizes the immediate danger. He staggers, limping, to his opponent, and attempts to drag him out of the burning bar with one arm
[11/15/2013 6:08:42 PM] Luke Gamble: (To safety)
[11/15/2013 6:08:47 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: yep
[11/15/2013 6:08:58 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: People are swarming over and helping you guys out
[11/15/2013 6:09:16 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: you’re quickly carried away.
[11/15/2013 6:09:28 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: there seems to be a unusually strong wind gusting up
[11/15/2013 6:09:34 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: and the fire is carrying to other buildings
[11/15/2013 6:10:09 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: People are forming adhoc bucket brigades to try to put out the fire
[11/15/2013 6:10:41 PM] Xavier Rodriguez: but’s it’s too late, the whole block is going up.
[11/15/2013 6:11:50 PM | Edited 6:11:58 PM] Monasch: The illusioned ref wisps away as Klotonk stumbles to his feet to help with the buckets

View
Session Seven - The Cursed Village of the Faceless Ones

Taelim wakes up on top of the roof a building with a vision.
Sends Feeps to the southern seatowns to get latest on the kingdom
Klotonk wants to find out about Goblin Market, tracks down his contact Lysandra but she’s “away” according to her assistant.
Maziel has taken off for a secret Mission (not sure what the party knows in character at this point but we’ll get back to that)

Taelim has a geas from Obad-hai – find the tree in the village near the center of the blight and “she’ll know what to do”

Party takes 2.5 days to get to the hill just outside the blight with no encounters, then start heading to the village, as it was raining.

(OOC) – as party gets closer to the village they start feeling uneasy, begin to flip over areas of exploration that they are “Randomly” coming across with a brief description (pond, village well, etc)

encounters of note:

  • First encounter was a large group of Ghasts that the party saw, and ran from (Mattias they thought they couldn’t directly face them and win due to their paralysing aura)
    *For some reasons the sun started setting, but then just stopped even though time was passing leaving the area in permanent dusk
    *Their shadows weren’t matching up with their bodies
    *There was a rain shower that rained blood
    *Found a graveyard, heard whispers with a floating headstone (that dropped to the ground when they approached) and an open grave, heard whispers. Investigated the open grave but left the coffin undisturbed and closed
    *Found a Tavern, found a pouch with treasure
    *Encountered Zombies – took a little damage – they weren’t too much of a challenge but very difficult to kill.
    *Found a Church with an adventurer’s kit and Alchemist’s fire.
    *Ran into some more Ghasts and ran away
    *Found a group of standing stones, with Ghouls. Debated fighting them but decided against it.
    *Found another cache of treasure hidden in a building and divided it.
    *Found an ancient yew with a druid or ranger hung from the branches, cut him down and burned him.
    *Taelim’s quest is complete and the party has left the area and is camped at the hill outside the blight now.

Feedback:

  • Random discovery was okay, seemed like a waste as a one shot but as a returning location (which it is) then it makes sense (locations will continue to be discovered in random order)
  • Dice rolling and spooky feeling of suspense worked.
  • X needs to work on balancing expectations between a “sculpted” story experience and “this doesn’t matter because it’s totally random”
View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.